Bring Your Dreams to Brookings
Live your best life in Brookings, South Dakota, where the community is vibrant, inclusive, safe and full of energy. Here, anything is possible. That’s why thousands of students come to Brookings to attend South Dakota State University and many alumni choose to make the city their permanent home.
With over 20 languages spoken here, Brookings offers an opportunity for everyone to live the American dream, regardless of where they come from. The Municipal Equality Index Human Rights Score for Brookings is 100% and we are an SD Resilient Community and the first SD Early Learner Community in the region, recognition of the work we’ve done to ensure that all our children live a good life.
Why Move to Brookings
- #1 Best Cities To Live in S.D. (Chamber of Commerce, 2019)
- #7 Most Arts-Vibrant Small Cities in the U.S. (SMU DataArts 2019)
- #2 Safest Cities in S.D. (Alarms.org, 2018)
- #25 Best Cities for Entrepreneurs in America (Livability/Entrepreneur, 2017)
- #8 Top College Towns in America (Schools.com, 2017)
- 18% lower cost of living than the U.S. average (Best Places)
- 4th largest city in South Dakota
- $80,078 median family income
- Brookings has 29 acres of park land per 1,000 residents. The national average is 10.1 acres per 1,000 residents!
- Brookings is an Outstanding Philanthropic Community (South Dakota AFP)